Anyone who has been told they need orthodontic treatment wants to know “how long do braces take to straighten teeth?”. And that’s not surprising, because having orthodontics is quite a big financial and lifestyle investment on your part. At MyHM Dentist, we offer our patients great results in a short time frame using clear aligners. Let’s see how they compare to traditional braces.
How Do Orthodontic Braces Work?
For many years the most effective method of straightening crooked teeth or correcting a misaligned bite, was using traditional orthodontic braces made from metal. Also known as bracket and wire orthodontics, these braces were worn mostly by adolescents who needed to straighten their teeth.
Today’s metal braces are more comfortable and more compact than ever before, but patients have not always been thrilled at the sensitivity and discomfort they need to go through in order to get used to wearing metal braces.
Clear aligners have been developed largely as the answer to the drawbacks of traditional metal orthodontics and at My HM Dentist we recommend clear aligners as an alternative to patients who need mild to moderate correction of crooked teeth or a misaligned bite.
What Are Clear Aligners And How Can They Help?
Clear aligners are covers made from special plastic that are worn over the front of your teeth. Because they are clear, they are virtually undetectable making them suitable for adults seeking orthodontic treatment.
Clear aligners work on the front six to eight teeth. They do not exert as strong a force as that generated by brackets and wires, but it is firm enough to move your teeth into the correct positions.
Once your teeth have moved into the right positions for that stage, you will open and start using your next set of aligners.
How Clear Aligners Align Your Smile?
Clear aligners are ideal for patients who need mild to moderate correction. Clear aligners can help patients with:
- Irregular gaps or spaces between their teeth
- Overcrowding of the jaw
How Long Does It Take To Straighten Teeth?
Everybody’s case is different, and you should be professionally assessed for an indication of how long your treatment will take. On average patients who have clear aligners treatment find they have achieved their orthodontic goals in six to nine months on average.
How Does The Straightening Process Work?
Your journey to a straighter smile begins with a professional consultation and 3D scan. Your dentist will inspect your teeth and soft tissue, and then create a 3D scan, to show you how your smile could be straightened over time.
Once you are satisfied, your custom aligners will be ordered. You will receive all of your aligners together, for the duration of your orthodontic treatment. Each set of clear aligners marks a new position for your teeth to move into, and a new chapter in your treatment plan.
What Are The Benefits Of Clear Aligners?
- Clear aligners are translucent and hardly visible to anyone around you, meaning that esteem issues should not overshadow your treatment
- Clear aligners technology enables you to have a look at your potential results, so you know exactly what your straightened smile will look like before you start treatment
- Unlike traditional orthodontic clear aligners can be removed for eating and drinking
- Wearers of clear aligners can look forward to shorter treatment times compared to patients who wear traditional metal braces
- You will not have to see or consult with your dentist as often. Clear aligners patients require fewer check-ins and can enjoy their free time again
- Clear aligners offer personalised treatment – your aligners can only be used by you, and have been designed to meet your orthodontic goals
- Clear aligners can be used by anyone over the age of 12 who has all their adult teeth.
How Long Do I Need To Wear My Aligners For?
Even though clear aligners are removable, we don’t recommend that you do it unless it is for eating or drinking. This is because you need to wear them for a minimum of 18 to 20 hours per day in order for them to be effective.
Don’t forget that you must wear a retainer every night once you have finished with your treatment. This is important to prevent your teeth from slipping out of position again.
Still have questions to ask? The most accurate way to know “how long do braces take to strengthen teeth?” is to make an appointment with Dr Matsuoka to have your bite assessed. Please contact us for a convenient appointment: (02) 9158 6379.